Christmas has been bbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyy!! I’ve been away a lot so I haven’t been cooking. I was in charge of the Christmas baking for our family do though… so there was lots of that. I mostly used existing recipes from bbcgoodfood or allrecipes. But one recipe failed spectacularly due a substitution I made.. which I then, somehow, manage to rescue. Since about half the originating recipe has been modified.. I think it qualifies as a new recipe now? Anyhoo.. here’s a recipe for cheese straws.
- 120g butter – softened
- 100g grated cheddar
- 350g grated hard cheese (like parmesan)
- 250 plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 egg
- milk – between 30-150 ml
- Mix everything but the milk together in a stand mixer
- Pour in milk, a little at a time, until mixture no longer look that dry
- Test texture with hand, see if it will stick and form a dough.. if it doesn’t, add a bit more milk and continue mixing
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Use hands to stick dough together and roll dough out. Aim for about 7-10mm
- Cut dough into strips and lay on a baking sheet
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and smells good.