So, after random food shopping.. what do I do with the food in my fridge/freezer?
I make stir fries!! Stir fries as short on planning and as random, as the food shopping was. This works because stir fries can be made out of literally anything. I’ve written detailed instructions before, so I won’t do that again, but if you to take today’s stir fry for example… made out of celery, minced beef, garlic, shiitake mushrooms & last week’s marinade. Any of these ingredients can be swapped out for something from the same category, and the stir fry will still work. Swap out the celery for broccoli? sure no problems. Don’t eat red meat? Use tofu or sliced chicken. Garlic usually stays because that’s a staple for me, and the taste component can be soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, peri peri sauce…. anything in your kitchen really!
For this celery & mince beef stir fry
- 1 whole celery, sliced.
- 200g minced beef
- 4 cloves garlic
- handful of shiitake mushrooms
- last week’s marinade
- Rehydrate shiitake mushrooms in hot water 20 minutes – 1 hour (depending on size) before cooking. Half or slice.
- Heat oil. Throw garlic in and fry briefly
- Throw beef in and stir fry until all cooked
- Throw celery & marinade in. Cover & steam for 3 minutes. Stir & cover and steam again until cooked to your tastes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with rice, with or without other dishes.