I tend to buy basics frozen chicken portions. These large 2.5kg packs for £4 are amazing value for money. I don’t mind bone-in chicken portions as these are what I grew up with anyway and feel less spoilt and rustic (and I hate chicken breast – they are so dry!) But sometimes these packs come with several chicken wings, which aren’t great for deboning and/or stir fries. I tend to collect them all out of the packet at once and make something with them – sometimes it is ‘3 cup braised chicken’ but sometimes I make oven-baked fried chicken.
I use whatever is around the kitchen and don’t specifically get anything in for it. The instructions are basically :
- Defrost chicken
- Season chicken with anything you like. I used honey, smoked paprika, some mix herbs & spices, toasted sesame oil, & salt
- Let chicken marinade for a while.
- Beat some eggs – how many depend on how many chicken wings you’re cooking
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Dip chicken in beaten eggs, make sure to coat thoroughly (most recipes will actually say dip in flour before dipping in egg.. but i was lazy so sue me :P)
- Dip chicken in spiced panko breadcrumbs (I spiced the breadcrumbs with the same things I marinated the chicken in)
- Lay chicken out on rack on top of tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. turning halfway.