It’s been a while since I last posted. I had a shitty three weeks…. and am only now getting back into cooking. The last few weeks have been full of comforting fried chicken, instant noodles, and eating pack lunches I had prepared earlier and froze. Yay for pre-prepped food which meant I still managed to be semi-healthy and semi-budget-conscious even when I was crying hours every day.
Today I made a kale, chinese leaf & tofu stir fry. And it was vegan. Accidentally vegan.. but hey… I have vegan and vegetarian friends… so why not stick the labels where they fit right?
- White Pepper
- PiXianDouBanJiang (Spicy Bean Paste from PiXian)
- 1 bunch cavalo nero. Sliced.
- 1 Chinese leaf. Sliced.
- some oil
- Heat oil, stir fry garlic until golden
- Pour in sliced veges. Splash a teeny bit of water in and cover. Steam until vege has shrunken and shrivelled enough to stir without everything overflowing out of the wok
- Add about 2 tsp chilli bean paste, a few major sprinkles of white pepper, taste, and add soy sauce to augment if required. Extra chilli optional.
Serve with rice!
This is a super super super amazing chilli bean paste. My girlfriend introduced me to it and it is one of the best things ever. It has fermented broad bean as well as the fermented soy bean, and the depth of flavour is beyond any other bean paste I have ever tasted. Apparently PiXian village produces the best chilli bean paste… so if you go out looking for this, look out for anything which says pixian on it!